Address: BF 142, Sector 1, Salt Lake City, Kolkata, West Bengal 700064
Phone: 033 2334 1014
Founded: August 5, 2000
Website : www.wbut.ac.in
University in Bidhan Nagar, India Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal, previously known as the West Bengal University of Technology, is a public state university in Kolkata, India.
The Government of West Bengal set up an expert committee on December 31, 1998, under the Chairmanship of Ashesh Prasad Mitra, Eminent Scientist to explore the necessity and scope for establishment of an Engineering / Technology University in the stste of West Bengal.
The University came into operation formally with the assumption of the office of the first Vice Chancellor on January 15, 2001 as a sequel to the promulgation of THE WEST BENGAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY ACT, 2001, under West Bengal Act XV of 2000 passed by the West Bengal Legislature. The University started its academic programme, from July 16, 2001 following a Notification from the Department of Higher Education, Government of West Bengal dated June 15, 2001 through the affiliation of Engineering and Management Institutions / Colleges and has entered the eighth year of its functioning. The University is included in Section 2F and also in Section 12B of UGC and recipient of UGC Grant.
The University is steadfast in its twin objectives:
a) To serve as a Centre of Excellence in teaching and research in technology and management area.
b) To provide framework of industrialization based on knowledge economy.
1. The basic objective of the University shall be to organize undergraduate courses of study in Engineering, Management and Technology, especially in emerging areas.
2. The university now affiliates 160 institutions spread over 15 districts of the state of West Bengal.
3. The university have now intake capacity of about 3000 students. In this venture their affiliates are their cherished partners.
4. The university continuously seal new partners in excellence be it industry or other institutions of higher learning.
5. The University has intimate and collaborative linkages with national and International research institutes, University and the industries.
6. The affiliated collges enjoy financial autonomy from beginning. They also enjoy substantial autonomy in academic matters.
7. The affiliated colleges can suggest establishment of elective papers, frame their syllabus and get it ratified by the University Academic Council at UG level.
8. The University besides being supported by the State Government and central grant giving agencies, organizes programs to generate as much as 90% of its own resources.
9. A number of our courses offered at the UG level are now accredited by NBA. By the end of this academic session this number is expected to go up substantially.